Pulling Back on the Reins

Have you ever felt like your life was in full gallop, heading in the right direction and with no obstacles in your way, only to suddenly have things screech to a halt? An image comes to mind of that picture of a person on what they think is their life journey, with nothing but the hill they climbed behind them, and the goal in front. Then a second picture shows a zoomed-out version, “God’s Plan” so it is called, with many more obstacles ahead, but the goal no less achievable.
Have you ever been indignant about that sudden stillness, or the additional obstacles?

We should be thankful for these times. These are times of reflection and assessment and can stop us from galloping over a cliff in some situations. I’ve got a real-life example for you.

Things at work have been going great, and I truly believe it’s because I have been growing in my faith-life. I have an opportunity to go to Mass pretty much any morning that I want, and I have decided on a couple days per week in particular. This has given me an opportunity to really grow in leaps and bounds in my relationship with God, and this feeds my home and work life. As life’s many problems come up, I have become more and more confident, when I bring those woes to Christ, that He is guiding my family through it all.

Word had gotten around at my work that my boss thinks highly of me and wants to keep me around, and that was good news; my work-life was in a trot, maybe even a cantor. Despite some life woes (those that most everyone experiences at some point or another), home-life has also been in full swing, tied directly to my family’s ever-growing spiritual-life. At work, I had the opportunity to chime in on a certain issue that, while it was not really in my direct line of responsibility, was an area in which I was not only well-experienced, but in which I am extremely interested. Consider it a “dream job” that I have an opportunity to create from the ground level at my current location.

So, I gathered information from other places to share with my employer, tied in my own experience, drafted some proposals on behalf of the fellow that was affected by it all, and basked in the warmth of knowing I had done some great work that I really didn’t have to do. This led to the boss at least considering creating a position where I would be directly involved in this type of work. Thus ensues the work-life gallop.

Then, my boss called me into his office to make sure that I have my work priorities and goals in proper place. Is this potential new position really what I want in my career, even if it means possibly getting stuck in that spot with little opportunity for future advancement. (And of course it is!)

Have you ever seen a movie where a horse is racing its fastest race ever, only to be spurred by something that makes it go even faster than anyone had thought possible? Shortly after my visit with my boss, I was informed of a temporary opportunity to do my dream job for 4 months in another State. Not only that, but that particular position would be opening soon, and the detail opportunity would pretty much guarantee that I would be a top candidate for it. The only downside? It would mean having to move…again…for a third time in 16 months.

Now, I’m a fairly flexible person. And I’m what I’d consider to be “mobile”. However, I’m also married and have children. In discussing the latest news with my family, we decided as a family that moving right now is a terrible idea. The very thought of it brings about tremendous anxiety to some, sorrow to others, and lots of ‘how is this going to work?’ to all of us. So, a move right now is out of the question. Add to this the fact that, while my family is fully supportive of me going on a 4-month detail, my boss thinks I need to wait on that as well. And the little “cherry” on top is that there is really no sign of my “dream job” position being created where I am. This brought my horse race to a screeching halt, or so it seems at present.

But let’s step back and look at the big picture. My faith-life is in order, so I KNOW God has His Hand in this. I also know that He knows me better than I do; that I can do work for Him where I am; that I am flexible in what I do for a living; that my family is content where we are right now.
Part of my “work” involves enjoying what I do. But the larger part is the opportunity I have to spend extra time with Christ (right now I can go to daily Mass all I want) and to provide for my family. My family feels “provided for”, so why toss another relocation in the mix if there’s no reason to (in that regard)?

I also know that God knows something I don’t: what lies ahead. Does my current situation mean I will never get to do my dream job? I seriously doubt it. In fact, I feel like many prayers have been answered that point to that job, just not at this very moment. Is God using me to impact someone else right now? Is there some other “good” to be realized by waiting? Will an even better opportunity come up in the future? We don’t usually know with 100% certainty that the answer to those questions is “yes”, but I feel confident that it is so. And even if it’s not, I do still like my job and the flexibility it provides; I am providing what my family needs, and even what they want to an extent; and I have many years left, provided God keeps me around that long, to see many other opportunities come and go.

Faith life – check.
Family is happy and cared for – check.
Work life is acceptable and gives me ample time at home and with Christ – check.

My life is that zoomed-out picture, the cartoon figure that has overcome many obstacles, feels pretty confident and content (all things considered), with many more obstacles along the way, all part of “God’s Plan”. Don’t lament having to pull back on the reins once in awhile. Take that time to reflect and to appreciate what you’ve got.

Comments

  1. A little update to this story. I did end up taking the 4-month detail, came back to the work I enjoy, and then went on ANOTHER 4-month detail (to a position that wasn't as fun, but was a great learning experience). And then my dream job really did open up. We did have to move, but by this time we were "more" ready (though it was still a VERY hard decision). So, here I am, doing what I love, and the time and trials that came have gone. And all I remember of the trials are the valuable learning experiences. God is good; all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why is there Temporal Punishment for Sin; Didn't Jesus Pay Our Debt?

Refuting Mike Gendron's "Are Catholics Deceived?"

More than Ever, The World Needs the Luminous Mysteries

Drive-Thru Christianity

God's Effect on My Life: A Personal Testimony

Did God Give us a Religion, or a Relationship?

Coronavirus and an Opportunity for Greatness